Many people have done this already but I want to do it too. It’s Christmastime and with Christmas comes CHRISTMAS MOVIES! I absolutely love Christmas movies. So without further ado here is my top ten favorites.
10. It’s a Wonderful Life: I have watched this movie every year for as long as I can remember. It used to would have ranked higher, but I have lost a bit of interest in this film as I’ve grown older. It is still a great Christmas lesson to remember. We are worth more than we think we are.
9. A Charlie Brown Christmas: My mom was a Charlie Brown fanatic when I was little and I ended watching this cartoon every year. The past few years I have somehow missed it being on. I love Snoopy too.
8. The Year Without a Santa Claus: I actually didn’t discover this cartoon special until I was probably in middle school, but even though I was older I loved it. I really always enjoyed the Heat and Snow Miser songs. If you haven’t heard them, you should. They are both ridiculous but really catchy.
7. Miracle on 34th Street: This is another movie I watch every single year for as long as I can remember. I always watch it the evening of Thanksgiving, which is a great way to kick of the holiday season. I specifically mean the 1947 version.
6. Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas: I love the Grinch. When I was tiny I loved watching this cartoon. It was a holiday must. Eventually they stopped playing it and Since I no longer had a VCR I stopped watching it. I still love it though and I own the book and a stuffed Grinch that I received for Christmas when I was maybe 5 or 6.
5. Santa Claus is Coming to Town: I adored this cartoon too. Let’s be honest I really really liked cartoons when I was young. But the songs were good and the story was fun. I love that Fred Astaire was the narrator and Mickey Rooney was Santa. They were two actors I still like from that era. And besides who doesn’t want to see the origin story of Santa.
4. The Santa Clause: I enjoy the humor of Tim Allen and I did even when I was a little kid. He was such a snarky Santa and since I relate to snark and sarcasm I was hooked. For years I could never find it on TV though. Fortunately, this year it’s going to be on NETFLIX!
3. The Santa Clause 2: I actually like the second Santa Clause a bit more than the first. The first has a good amount of depressing divorce/custody battles and this one is just funny. So this one is my favorite of the three.
2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Like I said before I love the Grinch, but when I finally watched Jim Carrey play him I knew this was going to be my favorite version of my seasonal favorite. I didn’t see it for years because my mom is a Dr. Seuss purist and was afraid the movie would ruin such a beloved character and story. But it didn’t!! Yay. I can’t wait to watch it again this year! Lots and Lots of laughs.
1. Elf: OHHHHH!!!!!!!! This movie! AHHHHHHH! I adore this movie! I watched it probably a year after it was released and have never looked back. I can watch this movie in the summer. I remember the first time I saw it I watched it like 5 times before we had to take it back to the rental store. My life revolves around this movie. It is a pure classic that never gets old.
So this is my list. I can’t wait to really start watching. What is your favorite Christmas/holiday movies?